Hook for Your Book Contest and an Interview

I was approached last week by former journalist and fellow blogger, Melodie Wright over at Forever Rewrighting to give an interview for her How I Snagged My Agent feature. I was quite flattered, I must say. I readily agreed because I think her feature is a great idea. You should check out the last interview with YA author, Becky Wallace. Her blog has a lot of great stuff on it so check it out!

Together with the interview, we are going to be having a Hook for Your Book contest which will be judged by my agent, Jeanie Pantelakis of Sullivan Maxx Literary Agency.



So here are the particulars:

To Enter:

You must be a follower of this blog and provide a link to either a tweet or a blog post spreading the word about this contest.

You must have a completed novel. Your novel MUST be finished to enter this contest.

Write a 50 word paragraph that is the hook for your book. Basically pitch your book in fifty words.

Post your 50 word pitch in the comments section of my blog with a TITLE and your contact info before August 22nd.

This is only open to mysteries and thrillers.

If I were going to enter, mine would look like this:

Finding Claire Fletcher

Detective Connor Parks, newly divorced, with his career in jeopardy, spends the night with a woman he meets at a bar. The next morning Claire Fletcher is gone; leaving behind a hint of a decade-old mystery. Abducted when she was 15 years old, no one has heard from her…until now. Will he find Claire Fletcher?

Lisa L. Regan
Email: duchessmalfi@hotmail.com


Jeanie will choose three finalists. They will be announced on both mine and Melodie’s blog on August 29, 2011.

The finalists will send her a synopsis of their book as well as their full manuscript. From those three finalists, Jeanie will choose one manuscript and that manuscript will get a full read and a possible contract with Sullivan Maxx.

Please spread the word. This is a great opportunity for writers looking for an agent. You’ve got till August 22nd. If you have any questions please post in the comments or email me directly.

Oh and my interview will be up on Melodie’s blog on August 12, 2011.

Comments

  1. Ooh, I'm so seriously bummed I can't participate in this one. But I will post it on my blog. So cool for you , Lisa. And a great opportunity for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which genres can participate? Melodie says it's just for mystery, romance and thriller genres, but Jeanie's page says she represents others, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still editing so that leaves me out. It's a great opportunity though, especially for those of us that are terrible at writing hooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay now Lisa, you know I can't participate in the grand prize, (I already burned that bridge long ago before my ms was really ready,) but I am gonna post my pitch, just in case someone wants to critique it.

    THE MISTAKEN (90,000 word adult thriller)

    Vengeance tastes sweet when Skylar Karras pledges his wife's killer to sex-traffickers in the Russian Mafia. In exchange for the woman, they’ll let his brother leave the business for good. But when Sky mistakenly targets the wrong woman, he’s forced to protect them all from the very enemy he's unleashed.

    Nancy S. Thompson
    Email: acadia1997@msn.com


    (My link to your blog is up now on mine at
    http://nancysthompson.blogspot.com/2011/08/hook-for-your-book-contest.html )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a great opportunity for someone who is actively looking for an agent although getting your pitch down is tough.

    Nancy: I think your pitch kicks butt! I'm very bummed too that you cannot participate in the grand prize!

    Robin: I will find out the answer to your question!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, my novel is not completed. But good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The genres are MYSTERIES and THRILLERS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great opportunity for someone. Unfortunately not my genre. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great contest, Lisa! So nice to see a contest geared specifically for mysteries/thrillers (oops, sorry, L.G.!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, what an amazing opportunity, unfortunately my manuscript need some work so I must pass.
    But what a wonderful chance for someone out there… I wish you all the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not my genre, but good luck to everyone participating! :)

    P.S. I can't wait to read your interview, Lisa. That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm following you (look in your rear-view mirror. Yeah, that's me).
    Good news: I've written a book called "Shag Carpet Toilet" (yes, I know. No quotation marks around a book title).
    Bad news: It's neither a mystery or a thriller (although I like those genres). It's more along the lines of...well, look at my blog. It's more along the lines of THAT.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts